Turbines are an important part of energy generation, so ensuring they are properly maintained and functioning properly is crucial. Regular borescope inspections can help prolong a turbine’s life span and keep them functioning efficiently for longer periods.
For instance, salt particles can be detrimental if they attach to turbine blades. This is because they have the ability to attract other foreign particles such as dirt and dust, which can decrease power output by nearly 15%. Issues like these can go undetected without proper inspections and lead to additional problems if not rectified.
Borescope services help identify issues inside turbines without the need for dismantling — which can be costly and time consuming. This allows for turbines to be more easily monitored for wear and tear while giving you the ability to repair issues as they first appear, as opposed to allowing them to go undetected. When it comes to turbine inspections, the portability of borescopes also makes them useful for conducting inspections in tight spaces that would otherwise be difficult to reach. The video feed from these scopes can also be recorded and saved for reference in the future. This is helpful because it allows you to see problem areas and compare them between inspections. If an issue is growing, it will be evident between the videos.
The Benefits of Using Borescope Services
When borescope services are used to help maintain turbines, you can expect to save both time and money, as well as prolong the life of your equipment.
- Turbine inspections can be safely and efficiently conducted without the need for dismantling.
- Borescope inspections allow you to better see into hard to reach areas for maximum coverage, thus ensuring all areas are covered in the inspection.
- Borescopes can also locate foreign objects that might have made their way into the turbine and become stuck.
- Saved video footage can be used to monitor changes in the turbine over time, giving you a reference point for future inspections and repairs.
- Borescope services can also help engineers know what to expect before dismantling the turbine, which means repair plans can be formed earlier.
When trying to keep your turbines in good shape, borescope services are something worth investing in. Having regular inspections allows you to better understand what’s going on in your turbines and allows you to help prolong the life of your equipment by staying on top of any problems that might arise. If you haven’t already, reach out to a borescope service near you and see what they can do for you.